The Nebraska Beef Council is seeking candidates to serve on the board of directors in 2021. All candidates must meet the qualifications outlined below. The board’s major responsibility is to oversee checkoff expenditures by determining promotion, research and education programs for checkoff investments. The term is four years and will begin on January 2, 2021.
2020 Election Districts:
District 1- Banner, Box Butte, Cheyenne, Dawes, Deuel, Garden, Kimball, Morrill, Scotts Bluff, Sheridan, Sioux
District 3- Burt, Cedar, Cuming, Dakota, Dixon, Madison, Pierce, Stanton, Thurston, Wayne
District 5- Buffalo, Custer, Garfield, Greeley, Hall, Howard, Sherman, Valley
District 7- Butler, Cass, Colfax, Dodge, Douglas, Hamilton, Merrick, Nance, Platte, Polk, Sarpy, Saunders, Washington, York
District 9- Dawson, Franklin, Frontier, Furnas, Gosper, Harlan, Kearney, Phelps, Red Willow
To have your name placed on the ballot:
Step 1. Candidates must have the qualifications required of a board member (see “Qualifications for Beef Council Directors” below)
Step 2. Obtain a candidate packet from the Nebraska Beef Council
Step 3. Submit the following to third party reviewer by June 15, 2020:
· The Nominating Petition form containing the signatures of at least 100 “eligible voters” from the District you will represent. This petition is valid only for the 2020 election.
· The signed Statement of Intent that you agree to be a candidate for your District and if elected, you will represent Nebraska beef producers’ checkoff dollars through program investments on a state, national and international level.
· The signed Candidate Affidavit that you possess the qualifications to be a Director and that you will serve as a Director if elected.
· Provide Documentation of Ownership for cattle from the previous five years (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
· The completed Candidate Biography, information and photo.
Eligible candidates must:
February 1, 2020
Board formally calls for elections in Districts 1, 3, 5, 7 & 9
February 1, 2020
Candidate packets available for distribution
June 15, 2020
Candidate packets due to third party:
KSO CPAs + Advisors % Brooke Miller
404 East 25th Street
PO Box 1120
Kearney, NE 68848
(must be postmarked by June 15, 2020)
Notify voters in districts with contested elections
August 1, 2020-
October 1, 2020
Pre-certification period completed by third party (must be postmarked by October 1, 2020) see address above
November 15-30, 2020
Voting period Ballots will be mailed to qualified voters (must be postmarked by November 30, 2020)
Third Party Contractor counts and delivers certificate of election
NBC Board of Directors canvass the results of the election(s) and votes to approve the election(s). New Directors announced.
January 2, 2021
New Director term begins
** All dates are subject to change
For more information about the 2020 elections or to request a candidate packet, please email Doug Straight or call the Nebraska Beef Council at 800-421-5326